Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Faulty equation

Graduating law school with $200,000 in debt   +   Taking a barely-scraping-by and frankly insulting salary from said law school as a fellow to continue doing international human rights litigation   =   Not being able to afford therapy for the near-crippling anxiety and PTSD that comes with being raped and assaulted, even WITH the university health care.

It's the gays' fault.  Or maybe it was the Muslims.  Nah, it was probably the undocumented workers.  I totally blame them.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posting; sorry about your undersalaried employment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even fathom that kind of debt. In Ontario, government student loans over about $10,000 per year are forgiven and it is nearly impossible to get a student loan through a bank unless you have family to cosign. I have the highest debt of anyone I know at my school, but I'm only at $59,000ish.

    I totally understand the insulting salary (minimum wage for grad student workers!) and not being able to afford therapy, as well as needing it for similar reasons. Luckily, my campus has counsellors that are quite good... and my particular counsellor has done their masters' thesis on women who have left violent relationships, so they do have more insight than most on some of what I am going through.

    Basically, I am just trying to say I feel for you, and I think that whole system sucks...

    and maybe the Ontario system is slightly better because my school has fewer gays, muslims and undocumented workers... (I am a queer person who was raised in a muslim household).

    Anyway, it is nice to see you posting again.

    ReplyDelete